I've had a hard time starting this post, as it will mean that la rentrée has truly arrived. It's alway difficult, coming back, the feeling of beginning again each september. Wondering what the year has in store, wondering what you will accomplish, if this will be the year. One would think this feeling would end with school, perhaps begin again with having children. But in France, the great return is every year, for everyone. August in Paris is dead, so even if you must stay, the atmosphere, the energy will have changed greatly by the beginning of September.
I have started, more or less, observing this ritual in the last few years. Though as the ticket prices in August have become predictably exhorbitant, I usually leave just as most people are preparing to come back. While I was gone, I received news that Mr. le President had a particularly, uhm, interesting way of celebrating this great return. He had publicly, and forcefully deported hundreds of Roma people in the early hours of the morning. Since this announcement, many members of foreign governments, as well as some within his own administration have denounced the action for understandable reasons. While I am certainly interested in the political ramifications (I am, afterall, also an immigrant in this country), my mond instantly jumps to the music.
Roma music is not known as such--but more likely, as gypsy music. It means many things, in many cultures--the typical sounds of soulful singers, accordeons, and fast-fingered guitarists ringing in our ears. Gypsy music is free and joyful and fantastic. So in honor of those who were deported (and I'm sure will find their way back in a couple of months), some of my favorite Romani musicians:
Probably the most well known translation of Roma music is that of Jazz Manouche. The culture is strong here in Paris, and great jazz manouche musicians always sought-after.
Django Reinhardt is more than often credited with the development of this style. Here he is playing my nana's favorite song:
and one of the more modern manouche stars, Bireli Lagrene, playing an Elvis classic in an unmistakeably manouche style:
An awesome example of the genuine sound, complete with violin and aforementioned soulful singing is Taraf de Haidouks:
And a less known Romani influence, is that in Spain. The style has been popularized as Flamenco, but it's origins are, indeed, in Eastern Europe. While the Gypsy Kings are probably the most popular example of this influence, I've been enjoying Diego 'El Cigala' these days:
That's all for now ! And yes, I'm officially back, so look out for more regular posting ! Happy autumn, friends !
No comments:
Post a Comment