When I was turned down for tacos last saturday afternoon, I wandered forlorn in the direction of Bastille, hungry & grumpy. Nothing is open in Paris at 4h30 in the afternoon. At least, nothing I wanted to spend money on. And as I wandered past Rue Sedaine I remembered. That BBQ place ! And sure enough, it was open, and with a promising menu outside.
I wandered inside, and was not surprised to find that I was the only customer. Who eats at 4h30, anyway ? I ordered the special-a pulled pork sandwich with a side of cornbread. And was served a prompt 3 minutes later. The meat was perfectly tender and delicious, the sauce a bit grainy, but quite good, and the cornbread was, well, absolutely flawless. To top it off, I got a FREE REFILL of coke. If you don't live here, you might not understand how miraculously wonderful it is to be offered a free refill. Almost as wonderful as it is to find a drinking fountain, or clean public toilets.
I enjoyed the diner-feel, and had a nice chat with the owner who obviously knows what she's doing-Texas flag on the wall and all. The place is pretty cheap already, and they have a Wednesday special where grolsch on tap is only 1 euro when ordered with a plate of ribs. They also get kudos for actually being open when they say they are. Needless to say, I will be back for the cheap beer. And the cornbread. mmm. Cornbread.
Blues Bar-B-Q
1 Rue Sedaine 75011
01 48 06 79 53
01 48 06 79 53
Also! Rue Sedaine! Favorite restaurant, and the other favorite friend!
ReplyDeleteMaria