Saturday, August 14, 2010

Corsica Part I: The Food !

I had a great plan to update often while I was in Corsica. Daily details of sites seen, music heard, food eaten. But of course as soon as I arrived, it became clear that wouldn't happen. A beautiful never-setting sun, and a poor internet connection made sure of that. But all is not lost ! A sharp memory, and photographic evidence should provide a sufficient outline of my ten days on the Ile de Beauté.

Part I: The Food !

Corsica food is, in general, very earthy. The island is covered with forests, so most genuine Corsican fair comes from plants or animals that can be found exclusively in the woods. We're talking deer, wild boar, chestnuts, etc. And if it doesn't come from the forest, it definitely comes from the sea. There is incredible seafood to be found just about everywhere, and it's a comfort knowing that all of these products are fresh and local.

Some culinary highlights of the trip:

Zucchini Fritters



Fiadone: A traditional lemon cheesecake


Haricots soisson: white beans and pancetta cooked in white wine


Fritters made with leeks and locally picked walnuts


Risotto of chestnuts and local pancetta



fondant of chestnut cream and walnut



Fritto Misto of local seafood


Sandwich of figatellu--a local, and very popular sausage


the most wonderful assiette of local cheese, which was served with a divine fig jam


and the most importand, a fresh local beer !

No comments:

Post a Comment