Monday, August 16, 2010

Remembering Abbey Lincoln

Terribly sad news this week in the (jazz) world. Abbey Lincoln had an unforgettable voice, both in her music and her convictions. I first learned about her when putting together a jazz combo in high school, through some of her interpretations of the standards. But I fell in love when I learned that she also wrote and performed her own compositions, and completely lost it when I learned of her collaborations on albums composed to speak out against racism. There was a clear depth to her enchanting voice. Lincoln's eternal presence will certainly be missed in the music community, where she remained active until her death. What I would have given to happen upon her at her usual table at the Blue Note.

I heard this song for the first time at a concert sung by an old jazz teacher, Christine Correa. I loved the song so much, I went straight home to find a recording, and thus discovered Lincoln's singing for the first time:



The first of Lincoln's own compositions I heard, and my favorite to this day:



And finally, Lincoln's lengendary collaboration with Max Roach in support of the civil rights movement:



Rest in peace, Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment