If someone were to ask me one word to describe my favorite kind of food it would be : southern. This way I don't have to commit. See, I have a commitment phobia. Quoi de neuf ? But seriously, from my southern Kentucky roots--I love me some fried chicken & cornbread. When talking more exotic, I prefer asian food of the southeastern variety, and I assume since Mexico is south of the US, I could call that southern too ?
When speaking French, it is of course the provençal, and southwestern specialties that come to mind--confited duck, fresh asparagus, salads with foie gras and/or crispy bacon. Oh, also, Southern wine is my fave. I know, I know. Bourdeaux & Burgundy are great. And I don't think I've ever said no to a glass of champagne, but give me a dry white from Ventoux, and I'll love you forever.
Speaking of fresh asparagus & crispy bacon, the salad pictured above had both. Also a poached egg, and a heavenly raspberry vinaigrette. I think we were off to a good start. There was also a bruschetta of spring vegetables:
A farcied calamari with a vegetable palet:
A filet mignon of porc with pepper sauce and ratatouille:
And a particular local speciality, Brandade de Morue. A cod and olive oil emulsion served with toast and olive oil soaked potatos. ummmmm.... miam :
Then, dessert, obviously. This is an iced grand marnier soufflé:
And creme catalane--a sort of creme brulée with orange.
This restaurant was another decision made by our kindly b&b host. Upon arrival, she informed us that there was no where else in the general area worth going to at that hour, and therefore, we would be dining at La Cuisine du Marché. This is when I started to trust her implicitly.
The setting, as you can see above, was quite interesting, and the entire dining room was served by one very industrious woman, who we later found out was the co-owner. The food was apparently delactable--and seriously, I could eat the poached egg/asparagus/bacon salad everyday. I think it's one of those universally edible meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, afterschool snack ? anything goes.
For some reason, I doubt that any of you, my faithful readers, will find yourselves in the general vicinity of Cavaillon in the near future, but if you do, don't miss La Cuisine du Marché. It's the best, freshest, new food I've tasted in awhile--and I daresay, plate-lick-worthy.
La Cuisine du Marché
13, place Gambetta 84300 Cavaillon
No comments:
Post a Comment