Saturday, February 5, 2011

a little bit o' mexican

Friends keep asking me "why on earth would you be so obsessed with finding mexican food in Paris ?" What with all of the fresh baguettes and croissants and cheeses at my disposal, it might be a hard concept to wrap your head around. But the truth is, there's only so much confit de canard and salade au chevre chaud I can stomach. At some point, all I crave is a heaping plate of pad thai, or perhaps a nice, fat burrito. Luckily, I have a good friend who shares this sentiment and has been willing (ok, quite enthusiastic), to help me scope out the options I've managed to find via my obsession with Parisian food blogs.

Last week, my favorite of these food bloggers, David Lebovitz, published a comprehensive list of all Mexican places he had visited, or heard of. And so the search continued with one restaurant which was suggested by a great number of his readers, Fajitas. And what we found was beautiful indeed.

The interior is stylish, and points directly southwest, without being too kitsch. The service terribly friendly and relatively fast, and the food well.... let's just say all of the other places I've tried in Paris seem to think Mexican cuisine is limited to the taco, burrito, and an occasional quesadilla. Fajitas, however, serves up just that--fajitas, as well as chimichangas, panuchos, and a variety of other options, many of which have cactus as a main ingredient. And I was phenomenally happy to encounter this, a rarity in France:


My tasty, and well-tequila-laced strawberry margarita (ok, any place in France with a genuine margarita machine wins my affections immediately:


Our generous serving of homemade chips and salsa (which was actually spicy, not the french version of spicy):


My friend's chicken & goat cheese panucho:


My chicken chimichanga, with generous servings of guac & beans:



And the obligatory photo demonstrating how satisfactory the meal was :


The prices weren't the cheapest of the options we've tried in Paris, but the choices (and I would venture to say the quality) were far greater. Better believe Fajitas is being added into the permanent resto-rotation. Updates on the other options we've tried so far as soon as I manage to obtain photographic evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment